Switched is the 7th episode of season 1. Starfire and Raven don't really "get" each other. Star doesn't understand Raven's repression, and Raven can't deal with Starfire's emotional outbursts. But then The Puppet King imprisons Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy inside wooden puppets and takes control of the boys' bodies.
The trap EditThe Puppet King sends the Titans a cardboard box of 5 puppets resembling the Titans, which they take a liking to. During that night the Puppet King emerges from his hiding place in the box and activates his controller, which has the ability to transfer the soul of a person into a puppet. This causes Robin, Cyborg and Beast Boy to have their souls trapped in their puppets. However when the Puppet King tries this on Raven and Starfire, Raven uses "Azarath Metrion Zenthos" to stop the process, although their souls get switched and placed in each other's bodies by accident. They escape Titans Tower, with the Puppet King-controlled Titans in pursuit.
Learning EditRaven and Starfire have problems using each other's powers, as Raven cannot fly or fire starbolts in Starfire's body and Starfire cannot levitate or use telekineses in Raven's body. After they narrowly missed capture by a mind-controlled Beast Boy, they share with each other stories about their life and learn about each other as a person, in the hopes of understanding their respective powers.
The Take Back Edit
After Raven and Starfire fully understand each other they rush to an abandoned theater, where they witness the Puppet King about to burn the puppets with the souls of the boys still inside. Raven and Starfire prevent this from happening as they steal back the puppets. The Puppet King sets the mind-controlled Titans at the girls, attacking them ruthlessly. When they are overwhelmed and the puppets reclaimed by the Puppet King, who is about to burn them, there seems to be no hope left until Starfire uses Raven's telekinesis ability to counter the brainwashed Titans. This distracts the King long enough for Raven to fire a starbolt, which knocks the controller out of the Puppet King's hand, landing in the fire which was originally intended to burn the puppets. With the controller destroyed the King loses the magic force keeping him alive and returns back to a puppet and the Titans who were mind-controlled had their souls returned to their bodies. The Teen Titans thank each other before returning to the Tower. The next day, while Raven is meditating, Starfire asks if she can join her, and Raven asks Starfire if she wants to go to the mall together. Together they peacefully relax after a day's work.
The title represents the fact that Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy's souls were switched into dolls, while Raven and Starfire's souls were switched into each other's bodies.
- Puppet King: We will catch the other two after the ceremony is complete.
Puppet Robin: Ceremony?
Puppet Cyborg: What ceremony?
Puppet King: Just a little spell. That will destroy you three, and make your bodies mine forever!
- Starfire: (As Raven) Quickly, Raven! Our friends are in danger! We must follow and--
Raven: (As Starfire) And what? Save them with my unusable powers while your unbridled emotions blow us to bits?!
- Raven: (As Starfire) Okay, how do you fly this thing?
Starfire: (As Raven) You must feel flight.
Raven: (As Starfire) What?
Starfire: (As Raven) When you feel the unbridled joy of flight, you will fly.
Raven: (As Starfire) Unbridled joy? Not really my thing.
Starfire: (As Raven) LOOK! (Points with finger and sends some of her dark powers to Raven (as Starfire), making her fall face-first, Beast Boy, as a tiger, comes charging at them)
Raven: (As Starfire) What do I have to feel to use starbolts?
Starfire: (As Raven) Righteous fury!
Raven: (As Starfire) Your alien strength?
Starfire: (As Raven) Boundless confidence!
Raven: (As Starfire, agitated) Nevermind.
- Starfire: (As Raven) But what if they find us? What if our friends are doomed? What if I'm stuck looking like this forever?! (twirls head)
Raven: (As Starfire) We'll fix it. I don't know how, but we will rescue the boys and we will get our bodies back. [pauses] What's wrong with the way I look?
Starfire: (as Raven) Nothing..
- It appears that Starfire kept her puppet, since it appeared in The Quest, while the puppets of the other Titans make an appearance on the wall in Robin's room in Fear Itself, along with the Puppet King's controller.
- Even though no actual changes were made to the appearances of Starfire and Raven, the two look different when their bodies are switched. Raven suddenly appears weak and helpless, and Starfire seems older and more mature.
- It is interesting to note that Raven's abilities are conversely related in the fact that Starfire's powers all require intense emotion while Raven's powers are at their best with no emotion at all..